The CLOSUP Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative
CLOSUP's Energy and Environmental Policy Initiative (EEPI), launched in the fall of 2012, is a program of coordinated activities designed to bring the latest academic knowledge to bear on issues of energy, environment, and climate policy. Through a combination of research projects, events, classroom activities, and publications, EEPI seeks to inform policy-relevant discussions among policymakers and other stakeholders with new research findings.
Under the direction of professor Barry Rabe at CLOSUP, and professor Christopher Borick at Muhlenberg College, one core set of research activities in the EEPI is a series of ongoing surveys of American public opinion, conducted jointly by CLOSUP and the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion (MCIPO). Originally known as the National Survey of American Public Opinion on Climate Change, as of fall 2012 this program of research has been renamed the National Surveys on Energy and Environment (NSEE). NSEE will include twice-per-year surveys in the spring and fall focused on climate change and a wide range of related issues under the EEPI umbrella.
CLOSUP's Fracking Project, part of the wider Energy and Environmental Policy Initiative (EEPI), launched in the fall 2012 with a survey on fracking in Michigan and Pennsylvania, part of the National Surveys on Energy and Environment. The Fracking Project includes survey research, case studies, web-based information resources, policy events, and more, with the goal of informing policy debate around the issue of hyrdraulic fracturing for natural gas, more commonly known as "fracking."
The CLOSUP Wind Project, also part of the EEPI, aims to improve understanding of state and local policy issues related to utility-scale wind energy development. This project originated from three surveys conducted in 2013 and 2014-one of residents in the Great Lakes region, another of local officials in Michigan, and a third of farmland owners near four Michigan windfarms.
For more information on the CLOSUP Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative, contact CLOSUP staff at 734-647-4091 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlighted EEPI Publications
- See the new paper in Commonwealth, A Journal of Pennsylvania Politics and Policy: "Leaving Money on the Table: Pennsylvania Exceptionalism in Resisting Energy Severance Taxes" by Rachel Hampton and Barry Rabe
- See the new paper in Climate Change Economics: "Individual Discount Rates and Climate Change: Is Discount Rate Associated with Support for A Carbon Tax?" by David Amdur, Donald Dale, Christopher Borick, and Barry Rabe.
- See Prof. Barry Rabe's chapter "A New Era in States' Climate Policies?" in the new book by CQ Press and edited by Yael Wolinsky-Nahmias. Changing Climate Politics: US Policies and Civic Action is available from the CQ Press store and Amazon.
- See the recent article by Prof. Barry Rabe in the journal Governance: "The Durability of Carbon Cap-and-Trade Policy"
Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative in the News: Recent Coverage
- Watchdog.org: Experts divided on how new EPA fuel-efficiency rules will affect Michigan economy, Apr 16, 2018
- WGTD Radio, 91.1 FM, Wisconsin Public Radio: WGTD's Morning Show, Apr 8, 2018
- New York Times: Quietly, Trump Officials and California Seek a Deal on Car Emissions, Apr 5, 2018
- Shepard Express: Carbon Tax Policies Presentation at Carthage College, Mar 29, 2018
- EcoWatch: Majority of Americans Wants Climate Action, Survey Finds, Mar 15, 2018
- Michigan Radio: Survey: Majority of Americans want government to step up action on climate change, Mar 13, 2018
- The Westside Story: Carbon tax fails to earn enough votes in Democrat controlled Washington legislature, Mar 10, 2018
- Yale Climate Connections: Michigan farmers, residents praise wind power, Mar 6, 2018
- East Oregonian: Washington state's carbon tax bill dies in Legislature, Mar 2, 2018
- Tampa Bay Times: Washington state's carbon tax bill dies in Legislature, Mar 2, 2018
Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative Resources
- See the EEPI home page
- See the NSEE (Surveys) home page
- See the Fracking Project
- See the Wind Project
More on the Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative
- EEPI activities in the news, media, & blogs
- EEPI presentations
- EEPI newsletters
- EEPI reference materials