The CLOSUP Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative
CLOSUP's Energy and Environmental Policy Initiative (EEPI), launched in the fall of 2012, is a program of coordinated activities designed to bring the latest academic knowledge to bear on issues of energy, environment, and climate policy. Through a combination of research projects, events, classroom activities, and publications, EEPI seeks to inform policy-relevant discussions among policymakers and other stakeholders with new research findings.
Under the direction of professor Barry Rabe at CLOSUP, and professor Christopher Borick at Muhlenberg College, one core set of research activities in the EEPI is a series of ongoing surveys of American public opinion, conducted jointly by CLOSUP and the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion (MCIPO). Originally known as the National Survey of American Public Opinion on Climate Change, as of fall 2012 this program of research has been renamed the National Surveys on Energy and Environment (NSEE). NSEE will include twice-per-year surveys in the spring and fall focused on climate change and a wide range of related issues under the EEPI umbrella.
CLOSUP's Fracking Project, part of the wider Energy and Environmental Policy Initiative (EEPI), launched in the fall 2012 with a survey on fracking in Michigan and Pennsylvania, part of the National Surveys on Energy and Environment. The CLOSUP Fracking Project includes survey research, case studies, web-based information resources, policy events, and more, with the goal of informing policy debate around the issue of hyrdraulic fracturing for natural gas, more commonly known as "fracking."
For more information on the CLOSUP Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative, contact CLOSUP staff at 734-647-4091 or by email to email@example.com.
Highlighted EEPI Publications
See Prof. Barry Rabe's chapter "A New Era in States’ Climate Policies?" in the new book by CQ Press and edited by Yael Wolinsky-Nahmias.
Changing Climate Politics: US Policies and Civic Action is available from the CQ Press store and Amazon.
See the recent article by Prof. Barry Rabe in the journal Governance: "The Durability of Carbon Cap-and-Trade Policy"
Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative in the News: Recent Coverage
- jiji.com: Article on federal climate policies (no direct link available), Aug 18, 2015
- NPR: Obama's Climate Plan Faces Huge Political Challenges, Aug 3, 2015
- Philly.com: How Pa. can get severance tax right, Aug 2, 2015
- renewableenergyworld.com: Say Hello to the Grid, Jul 21, 2015
- WKAR radio: UM survey: extreme weather impacts climate change beliefs (podcast), Jul 17, 2015
- R&D Magazine: Personal Observations Cited by Global Warming Skeptics, Jul 14, 2015
- Phys.org: Global warming skeptics cite personal weather observations as the key reason for their views, Jul 9, 2015
- Wellesley Townsman: Letter: Revenue-neutral carbon tax has drawbacks, Jul 1, 2015
- Hot Air: Schumer: Hey, who’s up for a Hillary-imposed carbon tax?, Jun 24, 2015
- ClimateWire: Americans support cap and trade more when money is used for efficiency -- poll , Jun 23, 2015
Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative Resources
- See the Energy & Environmental Policy Initiative home page
- See the National Surveys on Energy and Environment home page
- See the Fracking Project home page